When we live busy lives, it’s hard to think that we can actually cook a healthy meal, save time and money. My specialty is helping people save time in the gym to get fit and in the kitchen to create plant-based meals that will not only taste good but provide them with everlasting energy. Who doesn’t want more energy, right?
What I like about this recipe is that it really isn’t a recipe. I just took a few ingredients and dressed them up to give them some flavour. Many people are focused on the macronutrients (carbs, protein, healthy fats) that they forget about the most important thing, the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). I always try to incorporate lots of colour on my plate knowing that I’m getting as much vitamins and minerals as I can. The great thing about plant-based meals is that they are very LOW in calories and HIGH in nutrients. A great combination!
I actually have 2-3 servings of what you see in the picture at each meal. I may go with a little less sweet potatoes but the salad and the broccoli contain very few calories but I can fill my plate several times before I feel satisfied.
TIME-SAVING TIP: You can pre-cook the sweet potatoes ahead of time and leave in the fridge and heat up along with the couscous. Buy some pre-packed greens and sprouts and you have a healthy plant-based dinner made in less than 5 minutes.
So let’s get started…..
-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
-1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
-1 tbsp sesame seeds
-1/2 cup mixed sprouts
-1/2 cup mixed greens
-1 carrot, peeled and grated
-2 greens onions, thinly sliced
-2 cups broccoli, washed and cut
-ground pepper for seasoning
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-1/2 lemon sliced
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Flip over the potatoes, sprinkle the potatoes with ground pepper and sesame seeds and return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cook the whole wheat couscous as per package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the sprouted greens, mixed greens, and grated carrot into a bowl. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli for 7-8 minutes until broccoli is somewhat tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and garnish with green pepper, flavour the broccoli with lemon, and add the couscous to the salad. Top the salad with apple cider vinegar.
Eat Clean & Live Green!
Your Compassionate Coach,